Tickets for Ara Pacis Museum
An altar dedicated to Pax, the Roman goddess, and a cool Spartacus Exhibition
- Marvel at the inspiring Res Gestae (‘List of Achievements’ of the Emperor Augustus) below the Ara Pacis
- Get a close-up look at the reliefs around the Ara Pacis itself - a veritable who’s who of Augustan society including Marcus Agrippa, Augustus’s great general and builder
- Check out the monumental windows designed by Richard Meier and opt to see the Spartacus Exhibition for more Roman fun!
Architect Richard Meier's Ara Pacis Museum is the only major contemporary structure to have been built in the historic center of Rome since World War II. Choose from regular admission or admission plus the Spartacus Exhibition, (or simply check out the Spartacus Exhibition!).
If you were living in Rome 2,000 years ago, you would now be very, very old. But also importantly: you would've been alive during the time of Augustus, the first Roman Emperor (and grand-nephew of Julius Caesar).
His reign ushered in a period known as the Pax Romana (The Roman Peace) a two-century long period when the Roman Empire was largely free from large-scale conflict.
The Ara Pacis ('Altar of Peace') was Augustus's way of declaring his commitment to peace. See the 'Altar of Peace', originally inaugurated in 9 BC and then buried for centuries, plus loads more as you walk right into living history.
Opt for a ticket with the Spartacus Exhibition included and learn about the gladiator who terrorized Rome and held the great Roman army at bay for three years. Explore 11 different areas and 250 amazing archaeological finds! Afterward, you too will be declaring "I am Spartacus!"
- Access to the museum
Show your smartphone ticket at the box office.
- 09:30 - 19:30, last admission at 18:30
- Dec 24 & 31: 09:30 - 14:00, last admission at 13:00
- Metro: Line A to Piazza di Spagna. Then a 10-minute walk to Ara Pacis
- Bus: Line 70 to stop Lungotevere Marzio
Nearby Gusto (Piazza Augusto Imperatore 9) does a pretty fantastic aperitivo. Head there and get a faceful of delicious Italian snacks to go with your sunset wine.