Tickets for Castel Sant'Angelo: Skip The Line
Overlook the Tiber from this iconic mausoleum-turned-museum
- The austere stone passageways of this almost 2000-year old building may seem funereal - which makes sense as it was built as a mausoleum for Emperor Hadrian
- It got a real makeover when it became a papal palace in the 14th century. It's adorned with plenty of Renaissance murals, paintings, and statues
- Enjoy some of the best rooftop views of Rome and keep an eye out for two statues of the Archangel Michael that are said to guard over the building
On the banks of the Tiber stands a towering cylindrical structure steeped in history; it’s a mausoleum, a monument - and a museum. Skip the line to Castel Sant'Angelo and step back into the unfolding of Rome's history. Plus, get amazing rooftop views of the Eternal City!
A visit to Castel Sant'Angelo is an incredible journey into Rome's history. What once housed the remains of Emperor Hadrian and his family (and the emperors up to Caracalla in the 2nd century) is now one of Rome's top attractions.
Skip the line and see for yourself how this Castel changed along with Rome. It's been a fortress for the Popes to hide out in times of trouble. It's also been a palace, a prison, and the dramatic setting for Puccini's opera Tosca.
The downstairs part is cold and cramped, but the upper floors are a whole different story. Check out the lavishly decorated Renaissance interiors (look up for the murals!), and the Museo Nazionale di Castel Sant'Angelo with its collection of art and military memorabilia.
Temporary Exhibition: Labirinti del cuore / Labyrinths of the Heart
June 24 - September 17, 2017
This exhibition in the Papal Apartments of Castel Sant'Angelo is included in your ticket. Explore falling in love, abandonment, and nostalgia in the form of 16th-century work by Tiziano, Tintoretto, Ludovico Carracci, Bronzino, and more.
- Skip-the-line access to Castel Sant'Angelo
- Access to temporary exhibition
Skip the line, go to the turnstile and show your smartphone ticket.
- Apr - Sep: 09:00 - 19:30
- Oct - Mar: 09:00 - 14:00
- Last admission: 1 hour before closing
- Metro: Line A to Lepanto or Ottaviano-San Pietro
- Bus: lines 23, 34, 40, 62, 280, 982 or N11 to Piazza Pia and lines 30, 70, 81, 87, 913 or 990 to Piazza Cavour
- Tram: 19 to Piazza Risorgimento
There's a great shady park (Parco Adriano) just behind the Castel. It's got swings and a playground, surrounded by ancient cypress trees. It's a good place to come and relax in the shade, before your next adventure.