- It's hard to pick a favorite work of art here, but Bernini's David sculpture is remarkable. Unlike Michelangelo's stoic static David, Bernini's version is lithe, coiled, focused, in the thick of his battle with Goliath. Titian's painting Sacred and Profane Love is another winner
- Entry is limited to two hours, so seeing it with a guide means you can make the most of your limited time with this collection of masterpieces by Bernini, Canova, Caravaggio and more
- The whole Villa Borghese is actually an elegant city park, and your guide will lead you through the beautiful gardens, lawns, fountains, and monuments on the second half of the tour
Built between 1609 and 1613, Galleria Borghese houses one of the world's best collections of art. That's not hyperbole: sculptures by Bernini, paintings, by Caravaggio and Raphael and Titian... the list goes on. There's no better way to appreciate it than with a guide, bringing the masterpieces – and the story of their collection – to life.
If gargantuan museums like the Vatican and Louvre give you museum fatigue, you'll love your experience at the Galleria Borghese. Visits here come in two-hour slots, and are limited to 360 people at a time. So it gets busy, but not sardine-full.
Some of the many highlights include Canova's saucy semi-nude sculpture of Paolina Borghese (sister of Napoleon) casually reclining on a couch. Bernini's David and Apollo and Daphne, showcase the artist's gift for capturing action in stone. There are also many paintings from Renaissance bad-boy Caravaggio, including his Saint Jerome Writing, in which the saint appears to be using a human skull as a paperweight.
Other highlight canvases include Raphael's Deposition and Titian's Sacred and Profane Love. Your allotted time is just two hours, and seeing the collection with a guide will help you make the most of this opportunity; you won't just see the work, you'll come to understand the artists' intentions, and how they came to be in this lavish home.
On the second half of the tour, your guide will lead you through the manicured lawns, fountains, lakes, and monuments of the magical Villa Borghese Gardens. The tour ends with a breathtaking view from the top of the Pincio Terrace.
- Meet your guide right in front of the Borghese Gallery on Piazzale del Museo Borghese. The guide will have a sign with the 'City Wonders' company logo
- Make sure to arrive 15 minutes before your booked timeslot
- Cancellations are possible up to 72 hours before your visit date
- Changes are not possible for this ticket