Tickets for The Lava Tunnel: Admission & Transport
Explore a jaw-dropping cave system carved by lava 5,200 years ago
- Explore one of the largest 'lava tube' cave systems in Iceland – 1,400 meters long, Raufarhólshellir was formed by rivers of molten rock after the Leitahraun eruption
- Enjoy a guided tour from a team of the most experienced mountaineers in the country; they'll ensure you get the most from your visit
- Relax on board a luxury coach, taking you from Reykjavik to the tunnel and back again
Experience the awesome power of nature in this jaw-dropping caving experience. You don't just get to see incredible natural lava formations, you'll get to walk right through them! Explore 1,400 meters of tunnels carved by molten rock 5,200 years ago. With transport from Reykjavik included, it's a perfectly Icelandic adventure!
Take a luxury coach just 30 minutes outside of Reykjavik and discover Raufarhólshellir - one of the world's most incredible natural phenomena. This giant lava tube was carved by torrents of white-hot magma in the Leitahraun eruption.
After you've been given your helmet and flashlight, your expert guide will take you on an hour of pure underworld adventure.
Explore the 30-meter-wide caves in the columns of light which pour in through the roof. The sunlight plays off the stunning, vibrantly colored rock formations all around you. As you go, you'll learn all about the history of these amazing tunnels and the role volcanic activity played in the formation of Iceland.
Then return to base to swap stories and reflect on this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Bus transfer (40-45 min one-way) from the BSI Bus Terminal in Reykjavik to the Lava Tunnel and back
- 1-hour guided tour of the Lava Tunnel with an English-speaking guide
Show your smartphone ticket to the bus driver.
Cancellations are possible up to 24 hours before your visit date.