Tickets for Thirlestane Castle and Grounds
Explore a real Scottish castle surrounded by stunning scenery
- Explore the Thirlestane Castle and Grounds and see some of the finest decorative plasterwork ceilings in Europe in the grand state rooms
- Learn about the history of the castle from the 16th century to the current day, and see one of the largest collections of family portraits in Scotland
- Walk in the grounds and soak up the quiet meadows and beautiful scenery just a short ride out from Edinburgh
There's nothing more Scottish than a castle, but if Edinburgh's own is too crowded, head out to Thirlestane Castle and Grounds. Explore this 16th century castle in its quiet meadow landscape, see the opulent state rooms, and live it up like the Duke of Lauderdale.
The Duke of Lauderdale once lived in Thirlestane Castle with his family. Then Sir Richard Maitland married Avicia, Thomas du Thirlestane's daughter, and Thirlestane became the property of the Maitlands. It's been in their hands ever since - in fact: the Maitland family still live here today!
Check out one of the largest collections of family portraits in Scotland. In the grand state rooms, see some of the finest decorative plasterwork ceilings in all of Europe.
Learn about the area's history and look out for special fun events in the castle grounds. There's been something going on at Thirlestane Castle since the 16th century and that's not about to change anytime soon.
Show your smartphone ticket at the entrance.
Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.
From 02 May - 01 October:
- Castle: 10:00 - 16:00
- Grounds: 10:00 - 17:00
- Bus: 51 or 52 from Edinburgh bus station to Lauder police station + 8-minute walk
- Car: Head off the A68 towards Lauder