- Located a 10-minute drive through the scenic olive groves outside of Lecce
- See beautiful Byzantine frescoes and wander immaculate halls, walled gardens, a peaceful cloister, and more
- Learn about the monastery's history of spiritual life, agriculture, and its sacking at the hands of pirates
Amid the sun-kissed olive groves and lush rolling meadows of Italy's boot heel, this delightful little gem of cultural history has been standing proud for almost 800 years. Once a peaceful Greek Orthodox monastery and successful agricultural hub, it was ransacked by Turkish pirates in 1711.
After a long period of restoration works, it's now open to the public, and this ticket will grant you access to the glorious 13th-century Byzantine frescoes and architecture within.
Take a scenic 10-minute drive outside of Lecce, and transport yourself back in time to a quiet corner of Italian history at the stunning Abbey of Santa Maria di Cerrate.
This beautiful Puglian Romanesque monastery retains the peaceful sanctity of its glory days, and is a tranquil alternative to other, busier tourist attractions.
Wander the walled vegetable gardens where monks used to spend their days planting and harvesting produce, see glorious Byzantine frescoes emblazoned upon the walls, and take some time for reflection in the tranquil cloister.
It's a little slice of perfection that adds the perfect bite-sized dose of culture to any stay in Southern Italy.
Show your smartphone ticket at the ticket office to get your paper ticket.
- Cancellations are possible up to 24 hours before your visit date
- Changes may be possible for this ticket
- Parking is available nearby
- Mass times on Sundays: 19:30 from June to August, 16:00 the rest of the year