Tickets for Catacombs of Paris: Skip The Line + Audio Guide
- Go underground and experience a grotesquely beautiful monument to Paris's dead, constructed way back in 1788
- See the neatly organized skeletons of six million former Parisians as you explore the ultra-creepy caverns
- Discover the dark side of The City of Lights and learn about its 18th-century history with the fascinating audio guide
Take an underground tour of Paris's grisly mass graveyard, where the bones of a staggering six million human remains are on macabre display. Wandering these corridors is a fantastically eerie experience, and you'll learn all about life (and death) in 18th-century Paris with the multilingual audio guide. Discover the dark side of Paris!
In the late 1700s, Paris had a serious problem. Its inner-city graveyards were literally overflowing, causing nasty epidemics and annoying people who didn't like stepping over decomposing corpses on the way to buy baguettes.
After an unfortunate incident whereby the Cimetière des Innocents literally exploded into someone's basement, something had to be done.
Under the cover of darkness, workers carried human remains from every graveyard in Paris to the Tombe-Issoire quarry. Today, over six million human remains are laid to rest there in relative peace. To put that in perspective, that's almost three times the current population of Paris!
Now, you can get to the heart of the mortified action and explore the skull-stacked corridors at your own pace. And with a multi-language audio guide, you can learn all about this secret slice of Parisian history.
When bodies were transferred from Holy Innocents' Cemetery in 1787, many had decomposed so much they were essentially large deposits of fat. This fat was collected and turned into soap and candles. How's that for a commitment to recycling?
- For safety reasons, it is forbidden to enter the Catacombs with suitcases and luggage. Only bags up to 40x30cm are allowed and they must not be carried on the shoulders. There are no cloakroom facilities available onsite
- Temperatures in the Catacombs can be as low as 14°C, so dress appropriately
- Cancellation may be available depending on your ticket selection
- Changes are not possible for this ticket
- Skip the lines, show your smartphone ticket at the entrance and pick up your audio guide
- Make sure to be on time for your chosen timeslot
- Please download your ticket before your visit to make sure it is accessible offline
- Please note: Food, drinks, luggage, strollers, and motorcycle helmets are not allowed inside