Tickets for Le Thoronet Abbey: Fast Track
Visit a perfectly preserved ancient monastery and see how the monks lived
- Visit a perfectly preserved Cistercian Abbey from the late 12th century
- See where the devout monks lived, worked and worshipped, in a church complex designed to totally eliminate distractions, temptations, and any contact with the outside world
- Explore the main church, chapter house, dormitory, cloisters, storerooms and more
The 12th-century Thoronet Abbey came to represent the ultra-pious spirit of the Cistercian order, stipping away all distractions to keep the mind pure. Now, filled with history and perfectly austere design, a visit to this living museum is a fascinating insight into a forgotten way of life.
Known as the 'jewel' of the Cistercian abbeys, Thoronet Abbey was an ideal place for the monks to live, work and worship without intrusion or temptation.
Even the design embodies this philosophy, built from only the most basic elements atop a rock that represents foundations of strong faith.
Enter through the minimalist entrance, and take in the serenity of the main church. In the adjoining chapter house, you can see where the monks met every morning to study the Bible. Beautiful, spartan cloisters run along the northern side.
A visit here is a perfectly peaceful day out in the beautiful Provençal countryside.
- Entrance to Le Thoronet Abbey
- Guided tour (1 hour, bookable at the venue, in English or German)
- Audio guide (available at the entrance in English, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Japanese)
Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.
- From Aix-en-Provence: A 8, exit 35 Le Cannet des Maures or N 7 to Cannet des Maures, then D 79 to l'Abbaye du Thoronet
- From Cannes: A 8, exit Cannet-des-Maures, N 7 to Fréjus, then D 17 to Abbaye du Thoronet
Stop to explore the simple living quarters and to admire the ingenious running water system which still works today!