Tickets for Abbaye du Mont Saint-Michel: Priority Entrance
A medieval must-see on a French island
- Visit one of the most important places of medieval pilgrimage, also a UNESCO World Heritage Site on a tiny island off the coast of Normandy
- Get a free guided group visit and explore the rooms and towers, take in panoramic views, and see where Archangel Michel has been worshiped since 708
- See Europe's greatest tidal variations - as much as 15 meters in six hours, from a 13th-century religious compound
It looks straight out of a fantasy film - as if dragons might swoop down as you enter. But you haven't stepped into a parallel universe - you've just discovered the Abbaye du Mont Saint-Michel. This astounding World Heritage Site lies just off the rocky coast of Normandy. It's a medieval must-see! Explore 20 rooms, stunning gardens, and get panoramic views of the sea and sky.
Le Mont Saint-Michel is a small island commune in Normandy, and the Abbaye du Mont Saint-Michel is most definitely its crowning glory, looming over it all like a big stone soldier as the waves crash on its rocky shores. The worship of Archangel Michel first occurred in this spot in 708 AD, making it 'the' place for a medieval pilgrimage.
In the 10th century, the Benedictine monks realized its importance and promptly set about building a proper abbey here. In 1874 the abbey was listed as a historic monument; this was after the monks said their goodbyes in 1790. It draws as many crowds today as it did hundreds of years ago - thanks to its airy interior and majestic position.
With over 20 rooms and spires and towers looming over the town below, there's plenty to explore. You can also join a guided group for free - just ask when you arrive and you'll be placed in a group for a tour.
As you walk around the abbey, take the chance to watch the tide roll in and out (it has Europe's highest tidal variations, swelling and dropping as much as 15 meters in as little as six hours). Reaching the summit of the abbey will reward you with unbelievable panoramas; you'll feel like the king of a French castle. Or the abbot of a French abbey.
- Entrance to Abbaye du Mont Saint-Michel
- Audio guide
- Enter via the ‘Ticket Holders/Priority Access’ line and show your smartphone ticket at the entrance
- There's no WiFi at the venue and the mobile coverage there is quite poor, so make sure to download your tickets beforehand
Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.
- Last admission one hour before closing
- The closest train station is Pontorson. It can be accessed via the train lines TGV from Paris Montparnasse to Rennes or Dol de Bretagne, then a coach from Rennes or Dol de Bretagne to Mont Saint-Michel
- Trains from Paris Saint-Lazare to Caen, then a TER train from Caen to Pontorson, then the shuttle bus from Pontorson to Mont Saint-Michel
- Trains from Paris Montparnasse to Granville, get off in Folligny and get another train to Pontorson, then the shuttle bus from Pontorson to Mont Saint-Michel
Missed the guided tour? The audio guide is available onsite and it's certainly worth the extra €3, as there's not much written information in the many rooms you'll see.
Took the (free) guided tour and loved it.
Able to access the abbey without waiting in a queue.
Excellent site to visit.