Tickets for Medina Azahara: Guided Tour
Explore Spain's largest archaeological site and uncover 1000 years of history
- Travel back in time to experience the wealth and influence of the Caliphate of Córdoba in the ruins of a fortified Cordoban city – built in 912 AD, it's now the largest archaeological site in Spain
- Follow your guide and visit the ancient ruins of the palace, mosque, central courtyard, and aristocratic residences, as well as the onsite museum - a tour that takes you through the rise and fall of this remarkable city
- Climb the surrounding hills for jaw-dropping views of the ruined city and surrounding Cordoban countryside
Channel your inner Indiana Jones and explore over 1000 years of history in this magnificent palace-city, built by Caliph Abd ar-Rahman III in the 10th century. Your guide will teach you all about the rise and fall of this abandoned fortress, in an adventure that takes you back to the heyday of the Caliphate of Córdoba.
Legend has it that Abd ar-Rahman III built the Medina Azahara as a gift for his wife surrounding it with blossoming cherry trees to soothe her homesickness for snowy Syria. More likely, it was built as a show of wealth and power, a new capital to strengthen the Caliph's rule.
Unfortunately for him, it didn't last long, and the city was ransacked by marauding Berbers just 70 years after its completion. Now, the ruins offer a fascinating snapshot of a forgotten era, with the central palace and mosque excavated, alongside aristocratic residences, administrative buildings and service quarters.
Plus the onsite museum explores the lives of the thousands of people who lived there.
- Entrance to the archaeological site and the Interpretation Centre of Medina Azahara
- Guided tour in Spanish
- Transport from Córdoba and back (if chosen during checkout)
- Transfer from the meeting point (parking) to the site
- Pickup from the hotel
- Food and beverages
For tickets with transport
Show your smartphone ticket to your Oway Tours guide, who you will recognize by the blue umbrella, at the meeting point in Córdoba, Glorieta de la Cruz Roja.
For tickets without transport
Show your smartphone ticket to your Oway Tours guide in the parking of Medina Azahara, next to the shuttle bus stop. Your guide will be holding a blue umbrella.
Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.