Tickets for Volendam-Marken Express: Boat Tour
All aboard a beautiful ferry for a classic tour between traditional Dutch towns
- See the historic fishing village of Volendam and discover the secluded island-peninsula Marken on a boat tour that's been running for over 80 years
- Enjoy the beautiful coastline of the former Zuiderzee area and learn all about the region's history and development with an audio guide in English and Dutch
- Take your bike on the boat and explore each destination under your own steam – you can even pose for a fun portrait in traditional Dutch costumes!
The beautiful Volendam-Marken Express has been connecting the fishing town of Volendam with the island-peninsula Marken for over 80 years and is beloved by locals and tourists alike. Cruise along the former Zuiderzee coastline and learn all about this area's fascinating history and culture, with a fun audio guide available in English and Dutch.
Set sail on this traditional ferryboat experience and discover two charming Dutch towns steeped in seaside history. Volendam is famous the world over for its fishing industry and hardworking townsfolk, while Marken was populated by Frisian monks in the 13th century and was an isolated community until it became connected to the mainland in 1957.
Between the two, you'll see all the cutesy buildings, bicycles, tulips, cheese, and clogs that you'd expect, and you can choose to set off from Volendam or Marken. Or get a return ticket and make a roundtrip of it – all the better to admire the beautiful coastlines.
Naturally, you're welcome to take your bicycle for a small extra fee, and if you want to take your Dutch fanaticism to the next level, you can opt for a special photoshoot in Volendam in traditional Dutch costume. Just say kaas!
- Boat trip between Volendam or Marken or the other way around (one-way or roundtrip, depending on ticket chosen)
- Bicycle transport (if chosen)
- Photoshoot in Volendam in traditional Dutch costumes (if chosen)
- Transport to the departure points
- Food or drinks
- Museum fees
Scan your smartphone ticket when boarding the boat.
Cancellations are possible up to 24 hours before your visit date.
Getting to the Boat Departure Point
From Amsterdam Central Station (back side), take the EBS bus to Volendam or Marken. Buses to Volendam depart every 15 minutes, buses to Marken every 30 minutes.
Boat Departure Times
01 January – 16 March
- Volendam to Marken: 11:30 - 13:00 - 14:15 - 15:15 - 16:15
- Marken to Volendam: 12:15 - 13:45 - 14:45 - 15:45 - 17:00
17 March – 28 October
- Volendam to Marken: 10:30 - 11:15 - 12:00 - 12:45 - 13:30 - 14:15 - 15:00 - 15:45 - 16:30 - 17:15 - 18:30
- Marken to Volendam: 11:15 - 12:00 - 12:45 - 13:30 - 14:15 - 15:00 - 15:45 - 16:30 - 17:15 - 17:45 - 19:00
“Rond Marken”. De boottocht vanaf Volendam hoort daar natuurlijk bij. Die mag niet ontbreken.