Tickets for Klosterneuburg Monastery
See the Verdun Altar and explore 900 years of Viennese history at this retreat
- Learn about Austrian history as you explore the mix of architectural styles, the medieval cloister and more - there's 900 years of history here
- Get a free audio guide for tours of the Treasury, the famous Verdun Altar, the monastery church, and other historic areas
- Visit Austria's oldest winery on the banks of the Danube and try a wine or some brandy
Dive into more than 900 years of history at Klosterneuburg Monastery. See how it has developed into a religious, scientific, cultural and economic center in Vienna, visit the winery founded in the 13th century, and get a free audio tour. And don't miss the Verdun Altar - one of the most significant works of medieval art!
Klosterneuburg Monastery was founded over 900 years ago by the Babenberg Margrave Leopold III – who later became the patron saint of Austria. It was the residence of the Babenbergs and Habsburgs and holds the crown of the Archduchy of Austria in its Treasure Chamber.
The Verdun Altar is one of the most important artworks of the Middle Ages. Consisting of 45 gilded copper plates, it's arranged in three horizontal rows in St Leopold's Chapel, depicting the epochs of salvation. Don't miss it while you're here!
But you'll also want to soak up the atmosphere of Klosterneuburg Monastery. As well as a religious, scientific and economic center, this spot has become a cultural hub for the Viennese. Feel 900 years of history seeping through the walls as you explore!
- Entry as chosen
- Audio guide in 14 languages + Austrian sign language + special version for the visually impaired
- Free postcard (December 2017 only)
- 4 hours of free parking
- Special events such as Book Nights or Orchid Shows
Show your smartphone voucher at the main cash desk. If you chose a Themed Tour, you can then decide which tour you wish to do (one of the 2 guided tours or Treasury visit with audio guide).
Self-guided Tours (with audio guide)
- Treasury Tour
- Museum Tour
- Habsburg Tour
Themed Tours (in English or German - or use an audio guide in your language during the tour)
- Sacred Tour (Verdun Altar, Medieval Cloister, Church): Winter (20 Nov - 30 Apr): Daily, 11:00, 12:15, 13:30, 16:15. Summer (1 May - 18 Nov): Mon–Fri 10:00, 13:30, 16:15 Sat & Sun 10:00, 13:30, 15:00, 16:15
- Winery Tour: Summer: 14:30, Sat, Sun, holidays: 13:00 & 14:30. Winter: Daily, 15:00
Cancellations are possible up to 24 hours before your visit date.
- Train S40 to Klosterneuburg / Kierling
- Bus: Lines 238 or 239 from Wien-Heiligenstadt (go there by metro line U4) to Klosterneuburg-Stift
- By car: Via B14, takes about 10 minutes from the outskirts of Vienna. Ample parking spaces and underground parking available at the Monastery, 4 hours free with this ticket
- The Hop-on Hop-off Bus Vienna also brings you to the Monastery (April - October)
Legend has it that in 1114, Margrave Leopold III founded the Klosterneuburg Monastery in the same place he found his wife's veil after it was blown from her face on their wedding day. How's that for romantic?