Tickets for Klosterneuburg Monastery: Fast Track
See the Verdun Altar and explore 900 years of Viennese history at this retreat
- Learn about Austrian history as you explore the mix of architectural styles, the medieval cloister and more - there's 900 years of history here
- Get a free audio guide for tours of the Treasury, the famous Verdun Altar, the monastery church, and other historic areas
- Visit Austria's oldest winery on the banks of the Danube and try a wine or some brandy
Dive into more than 900 years of history at Klosterneuburg Monastery. See how it has developed into a religious, scientific, cultural, and economic center in Vienna, visit the winery founded in the 13th century, and get a free audio tour. And don't miss the Verdun Altar - one of the most significant works of medieval art!
Klosterneuburg Monastery was founded over 900 years ago by the Babenberg Margrave Leopold III – who later became the patron saint of Austria. It was the residence of the Babenbergs and Habsburgs and holds the crown of the Archduchy of Austria in its Treasure Chamber.
The Verdun Altar is one of the most important artworks of the Middle Ages. Consisting of 45 gilded copper plates, it's arranged in three horizontal rows in St Leopold's Chapel, depicting the epochs of salvation. Don't miss it while you're here!
But you'll also want to soak up the atmosphere of Klosterneuburg Monastery. As well as a religious, scientific and economic center, this spot has become a cultural hub for the Viennese. Feel 900 years of history seeping through the walls as you explore!
- Fast-track entry as chosen
- Audio guides in 14 languages + Austrian sign language + special version for the visually impaired
- 4 hours of free parking
- Special events such as Book Nights or Orchid Shows
- Treasury: daily, winter 10:00-16:00, summer 09:00-18:00
- Monastery Museum: Sat, Sun, holidays: 14:00-16:00 (winter) / 17:00 (summer)
- Guided Tour of the Excavation + Annual Exhibition: daily, 11:00, 12:30, 14:30, 16:00
- All of the above
- Monastery Tour (Verdun Altar, Cloister, Church): winter daily 10:30, 11:45, 15:45; summer daily 10:00, 11:30, 16:45
- Monastery Grand Tour (Verdun Altar, Cloister, Church, Imperial Rooms, Marble Hall): winter daily 13:00; summer Mon-Fri 13:30, Sat-Sun 13:30, 15:00
- Winery Tour: winter daily 14:30; summer Mon-Fri 15:00, Sat-Sun 13:00, 15:00
(Winter: 15 Nov-30 Apr. Summer: 1 May-14 Nov)
Cancellations are possible up to 24 hours before your visit date.
- Train S40 to Klosterneuburg / Kierling
- Bus: Lines 238 or 239 from Wien-Heiligenstadt (go there by metro line U4) to Klosterneuburg-Stift
- By car: Via B14, takes about 10 minutes from the outskirts of Vienna. Ample parking spaces and underground parking available at the Monastery, 4 hours free with this ticket
Legend has it that in 1114, Margrave Leopold III founded the Klosterneuburg Monastery in the same place he found his wife's veil after it was blown from her face on their wedding day. How's that for romantic?