Tickets for Giorgio Cini Foundation + Video Guide
History and culture combine in this restored island monastery
- Discover a fascinating piece of Venetian history in this restored monastery, now one of Italy's most prominent cultural foundations
- Enjoy a supervised video guide tour around the ancient building's many highlights, including the majestic Cypress Cloister
- Admire the labyrinthine gardens from above and soak up the tranquility of this secluded island retreat
Escape to a miniature island packed with fascinating stories. The Fondazione Giorgio Cini is housed in the ancient San Giorgio monastery, which was restored in the 1950s by maverick politician Vittorio Cini. Explore its stunning architecture and extensive library today!
The Giorgio Cini Foundation is a stone's throw from the famed St Mark's Square, reachable only by the 'vaporetto' water buses. The original monastery was built way back in 998 AD but was laid to ruin by a rampaging Napoleon, who sent many of its treasures back home to Paris.
In 1951, the monastic monument was given to Vittorio, who took it upon himself to return it to its original splendor and re-integrate the island in memory of his heroic son Giorgio. Today, it's one of Italy's premier cultural institutions, with an extensive library and collection of art and historical documents.
Your video guide takes you through the building's cultural and architectural highlights, culminating with the serene Cypress Cloister – the oldest part of this 1000-year-old complex.
- Video guide in English, French, Italian, Spanish, German
- Access to the Palladian Cloister, Cypress Cloister, Palladian Refectory, Longhena’s grand staircase, the New Manica Lunga
When you get to the island you'll find the ticket office on the left side of the church – show your smartphone ticket there and enjoy your visit!
Cancellations are possible up to 24 hours before your visit date.
Vaporetto: Line 2 from San Zaccaria (3-minute trip), Ferrovia (45 minutes), Piazzale Roma (40 minutes), or Tronchetto (35 minutes).