- Board a boat from Stockholm and visit Birka, in the middle of Lake Mälaren, known as Sweden's very first city
- Learn what life was like for Viking traders as you tour the archaeological and UNESCO World Heritage Site with a guide
- Get free entrance to the museum and visit the Viking Village, or take a horse-driven wagon around the area for an extra charge!
Game of Thrones, eat your heart out. If you want to know what life was really like for tough helmet-wearing warriors and traders, join your guide and learn the history of Birka - Sweden's very first city. Tour the archaeological fields, visit the Birka Museum and Viking Village and explore this amazing UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Board your comfy boat from Stadhusbron in Stockholm and get ready for some Viking history!
Björkö is an island in the middle of Lake Mälaren, 30km west of Stockholm. This is home to Birka town, known as Sweden's very first city. It was one of the most important trading centers for Vikings and with your guide you'll tour the archaeological sites.
Here, they found Arabic silver, Eastern European beads, ceramics, gorgeous fabrics and more, all evidence of Viking-Age trading networks and the goods they swapped for iron, skins, horns and fur.
This beautiful island is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Learn of the history of Birka, tour the archaeological fields, and visit the Birka Museum. Want to know what life was really like in those horny helmets? Take a look around the reconstructed Viking village and let your imagination run wild!
- Boat tour from Stockholm
- Free entrance to the museum
- Guided tour of the ancient fields
- Food and drinks (sold on board)
Please go to the departure point at Klara Mälarstrand (crossing Stadshusbron) and show your smartphone ticket before boarding.
Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.
Getting to the Departure Point
- Bus: Lines 3 or 50 to Stadshuset (City Hall)
- A 5-minute walk from Stockholm Central Station
Gids vertelt onderweg leuke weetjes over wat er te zien is, met duidelijke link naar Vikingen. (In Zweeds en Engels)
Op Birka is de 45 minuten durende rondleiding ook zeer de moeite en goed te volgen (Engels).
Tip: op zonnige dagen zorg voor hoofddeksel en zonnenbrand