- SFMOMA is one of the largest museums of modern and contemporary art in the US - its collection includes over 33,000 works
- The recent (2016) Snøhetta-designed expansion has given the SFMOMA nearly 3x the gallery space it had previously
- As well as traditional painting, sculpture, photography, and design galleries, the museum also features a diverse multimedia collection
Louise Bourgeois created the first of these dark yet compelling spider sculptures in the mid-1990s, when she was in her 80s. See spiders in all shapes and sizes through Bourgeois' eyes; she saw them as both fierce and fragile, as protectors as well as predators. Do you agree? There's only one way to find out - be brave!
'Andy Warhol – From A to B and Back Again' is a retrospective celebration of one of the most influential artists of the 20th century.
Warhol's understanding of imagery's power and its growing importance in our everyday lives was far ahead of its time. The themes explored throughout Warhol's 40-year career seem eerily relevant for a generation so reliant on social media. He understood that the projected image of a person or an object becomes even more real than the thing it's representing. The world's first influencer, perhaps?
Over 300 of the pop artist's mixed-medium works are on display in an exclusive West Coast presentation at SFMOMA. See the infamous 'Green Coca-Cola Bottles', 'National Velvet', and 'Triple Elvis' in the flesh.
Or, get to know Warhol's descent into darkness in his 'Death and Disaster' series, which dealt with subject matters like car accidents, suicides, and electric chairs, repeated mechanically on swaths of canvas.
Not just one of the largest museums in the US, SFMOMA is also one of its finest. Regularly rotating exhibits plus a hefty permanent collection, displayed on the seven floors of the striking Snøhetta expansion make this a museum well worth your time in San Francisco.
This San Francisco must-see is not only one of the most prestigious art collections in the US, it's also the largest museum of modern and contemporary art in the country.
Soak up works by Andy Warhol, Jackson Pollock, Willem de Kooning, Jasper Johns, Francis Bacon and many more of the art world's big names. The SFMOMA's current collection includes over 33,000 works of painting, sculpture, installation, photography, architecture, design and media arts!
There are also more than 1,100 works from the Fisher Collection, one of the world's best private collections of modern and contemporary art collected by the founders of Gap Inc.
- Admission to the collection
- Admission to temporary exhibitions
- Audio guide
- Surcharged special exhibition
- Show your smartphone ticket together with a valid ID at any ticketing desk on the 2nd floor
- Special exhibition upgrades can be done at this time
Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.
I went w my daughters