- SFMOMA is one of the largest museums of modern and contemporary art in the US - its collection includes over 33,000 works
- The recent (2016) Snøhetta-designed expansion has given the SFMOMA nearly 3x the gallery space it had previously
- As well as traditional painting, sculpture, photography, and design galleries, the museum also features a diverse multimedia collection
Louise Bourgeois created the first of these dark yet compelling spider sculptures in the mid-1990s, when she was in her 80s. See spiders in all shapes and sizes through Bourgeois' eyes; she saw them as both fierce and fragile, as protectors as well as predators. Do you agree? There's only one way to find out - be brave!
Northern California–based artist Wayne Thiebaud first visited the SFMOMA in 1942, when he was just 22 years old, and he's contributed a lot to the museum ever since. Browse a selection of his own paintings and drawings spanning all 50 years of his career, then see a selection of other works he chose personally from the museum's vault.
Henri Matisse and Joan Miró, American painters George Ault and Georgia O'Keeffe, California peers Richard Diebenkorn and John McLaughlin, and more recent canvases by Katherine Porter and Lynette Yiadom-Boakye are all here.
Not just one of the largest museums in the US, SFMOMA is also one of its finest. Regularly rotating exhibits plus a hefty permanent collection, displayed on the seven floors of the striking Snøhetta expansion make this a museum well worth your time in San Francisco.
This San Francisco must-see is not only one of the most prestigious art collections in the US, it's also the largest museum of modern and contemporary art in the country.
Soak up works by Andy Warhol, Jackson Pollock, Willem de Kooning, Jasper Johns, Francis Bacon and many more of the art world's big names. The SFMOMA's current collection includes over 33,000 works of painting, sculpture, installation, photography, architecture, design and media arts!
There are also more than 1,100 works from the Fisher Collection, one of the world's best private collections of modern and contemporary art collected by the founders of Gap Inc.
- Admission to the collection
- Admission to temporary exhibitions
- Audio guide for iPhone
- Audio guide
- Surcharged special exhibition
- Show your smartphone ticket together with a valid ID at any ticketing desk on the 2nd floor • Special exhibition upgrades can be done at this time
Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.