- SFMOMA is one of the largest museums of modern and contemporary art in the US - its collection includes over 33,000 works
- The recent (2016) Snøhetta-designed expansion has given the SFMOMA nearly 3x the gallery space it had previously
- Enjoy the Sightglass coffee bar, Café 5, or In Situ for everything from artisanal coffee to California-fusion fare during your visit
Alexander Calder was an artist who studied mechanical engineering at the height of the era of Existentialism. This resulted in confusingly kinetic sculptural works where unseen forces of movement bleed into the natural world.
Shifting away from his earlier Modernist ideology, which put motorized future-focused pieces at the forefront, Elemental Calder deals with an organically new element of human expression – sculptural mobiles.
In this exhibition, see Calder's deep-rooted goal of reconciling science and engineering with natural elemental phenomena, like the ebbing tides of the sea and the blowing of the wind.
Brooklyn-based contemporary artist and muralist Stephen Powers began graffitiing around New York in the late 90s, under the moniker ESPO. His art is mainly focused on the language of signs, typography, and the visual clutter of everyday life.
See Powers' highly relevant brand of contemporary art, which riffs off our emoticon-driven culture. The artist's lyrical typography wittily captures our collective unease with the vapidity of rapid, instantaneous communication and how it affects real human connections.
Not just one of the largest museums in the US, SFMOMA is also one of its finest. Regularly rotating exhibits plus a hefty permanent collection, displayed on the seven floors of the striking Snøhetta expansion make this a museum well worth your time in San Francisco.
This San Francisco must-see is not only one of the most prestigious art collections in the US, it's also the largest museum of modern and contemporary art in the country.
Soak up works by Andy Warhol, Jackson Pollock, Willem de Kooning, Jasper Johns, Francis Bacon and many more of the art world's big names. The SFMOMA's current collection includes over 33,000 works of painting, sculpture, installation, photography, architecture, design and media arts!
There are also more than 1,100 works from the Fisher Collection, one of the world's best private collections of modern and contemporary art collected by the founders of Gap Inc.
- Show your smartphone ticket together with a valid ID at any ticketing desk on the 2nd floor
- Special exhibition upgrades can be done at this time
- Cancellations are not possible for this ticket
- Changes are not possible for this ticket