Tickets for Trajan's Markets and Imperial Fora Museum
Stroll the ancient ruins of Rome's megamall
- Spend the day like the Ancient Romans would've done, and wander the alleys and levels of this remarkable complex of 150 shops and offices
- Pioneering architect Apollodorus of Damascus designed the whole complex, including the remarkable Great Hall, which acts as the entrance hall to the whole complex. Check out the ingenious six-way concrete cross in the vaulted ceiling above your head, a perfect solution to support the weight of the 32 m-long ceiling
- Take the stairs and go up a couple of floors above the Great Semi-Circle. You’ll get a wonderful perspective over Trajan’s Markets, Trajan’s Forum, and the rest of the ancient city
The Markets of Trajan were built for the Emperor Trajan by the legendary architect Apollodorus of Damascus around 107-110 AD. The markets are considered the world’s first great shopping mall complex with some 150 shops and administrative offices. The markets were adjacent to the Forum of Trajan, where the spectacular Trajan’s Column still stands. This ticket also includes access to the fascinating Museum of the Imperial Fora.
If you want to imagine what the ancient city of Rome was really like at its peak, then a visit to the Markets of Trajan is an absolute must.
Emperor Trajan, who was officially acclaimed by the Senate as optimus princeps ('the best ruler') was also one of the greatest builders of Roman times - along with his architect Apollodorus of Damascus, the mastermind behind the Markets of Trajan.
Once inside the complex, you’ll be able to dip in and out of the more than 150 tabernae (shops) as you walk the ancient Via Biberatica - the main shopping street. As the first covered shopping mall structure in history, this complex is the model for every megamall we have today.
The Museum of the Imperial Fora (located inside) teaches visitors about the intricate network of fora (town squares) that made up the ancient city.
- Rome City Map
- Entrance Ticket to Trajan Markets and Imperial Fora Museum
How to use your tickets
Show your mobile tickets at the box office and also receive our Rome City Map!
- Underground B Line (Colosseum Stop) and 10 min walk
- Buses: H, 40, 60, 64, 70, 170