- See the prison which was once home to vanquished emperors and kings, and Saints Peter and Paul
- Get a comprehensive audio tour explaining the amazing history of the Forum's "basement"
- Access the Colosseum via a special entrance and explore the Roman Forum at your leisure
Plug into your audio tour of the Mamertine prison, in the somewhat creepy basement of the church of San Pietro in Carcere. Learn about the prisoners who served time here, including Saints Peter and Paul, then access the Colosseum via a special, sneaky entrance!
Prisoners at the Mamertine prison, also known as the Tullianum, were once lowered into the cell through a hole in the ceiling, but luckily you get to use the stairs.
Put on your audio headset and explore what is essentially the basement of the church of San Pietro in Carcere, a prison that housed vanquished kings, other wrong-doers, and even Saints Peter and Paul.
It's small, it's dark, it's cramped, but it's one of the most atmospheric parts of the Forum! You'll even see the bars that St Peter was allegedly chained to, and the pool of water he used to baptize visitors.
When you've soaked up this special part of history, make your way into the architectural triumph that is the Colosseum via a special, speedy entrance and explore it and the Roman Forum at your own pace.
- Swap your smartphone voucher for a paper ticket at the ticket office of the Mamertine Prison at least 10 minutes before your chosen timeslot. Your ticket to the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill will be given to you then
- You will receive a timeslot to enter the Colosseum based on availability
- The ticket for the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill is valid for two consecutive days, one entrance per site
Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.
Getting to the Mamertine Prison
- Metro: Line B to Colosseum station + 10-minute walk
- Bus: All lines to Piazza Venezia bus terminal + 5-minute walk
- 29 October - 25 March: 08:30 - 16:30
- 26 March - 31 August: 08:30 - 18:30
- 1 - 30 September: 08:30 - 18:00
- 1 - 28 October: 08:30 - 17:30
- 16 February - 15 March: 08:30 - 17:00
- 16 - the last Saturday of March: 08:30 - 17:30
- From the last Sunday of March - 31 August: 08:30 - 19:15
- 1 - 30 September: 08:30 - 19:00
- 1 - the last Saturday of October: 08:30 - 18:30
- From the last Sunday of October - 15 February: 08:30 - 16:30
Colosseum: Skip The Line + Arena Floor Access & Roman Forum
Get the only ticket that gives you access to the Colosseum arena floor
Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill: Last Minute Tickets
Priority entrance to three Roman wonders - it's one unforgettable day!
Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill + Colosseum Video Guide
The best way to immerse yourself in the incredible history of Ancient Rome
Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill: Priority Entrance
The fastest way into this iconic Roman monument created 2,000 years ago
Colosseum Underground: Night Tour
A unique chance to see Rome's greatest architectural attraction at night!
Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill: Guided Tour in English
Skip the line with an immersive journey through the heart of ancient Rome
Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill: Guided Tour Spanish, French or Russian
Skip the line with a guided tour of ancient Rome in Spanish, French or Russian
Colosseum Underground: Night Tour + Skip The Line
Enjoy an atmospheric twilight odyssey of Rome, without the daytime tourists
Mamertine prison exposition is very unsatisfactory.
The entrance to the Coliseum with fast track was excellent!
Go to the Mamertine Prison Museum for the tickets.
Once done enjoy the Mamertine Prison, walk back to the Colosseum, go toward the back and you will get access straight away.
Please note that you have set times to go into the Colosseum.
You will need to hire an audio guide if required. It cost me €12 for 2 audio guides plus 2 pairs of earphones.