- See the prison which was once home to vanquished emperors and kings, and Saints Peter and Paul
- Get a comprehensive audio tour explaining the amazing history of the Forum's "basement"
- Access the Colosseum via a special entrance and explore the Roman Forum at your leisure
Plug into your audio tour of the Mamertine prison, in the somewhat creepy basement of the church of San Pietro in Carcere. Learn about the prisoners who served time here, including Saints Peter and Paul, then access the Colosseum via a special, sneaky entrance!
Prisoners at the Mamertine prison, also known as the Tullianum, were once lowered into the cell through a hole in the ceiling, but luckily you get to use the stairs.
Put on your audio headset and explore what is essentially the basement of the church of San Pietro in Carcere, a prison that housed vanquished kings, other wrong-doers, and even Saints Peter and Paul.
It's small, it's dark, it's cramped, but it's one of the most atmospheric parts of the Forum! You'll even see the bars that St Peter was allegedly chained to, and the pool of water he used to baptize visitors.
When you've soaked up this special part of history, make your way into the architectural triumph that is the Colosseum via a special, speedy entrance and explore it and the Roman Forum at your own pace.
- Access to the Mamertine Prison + Video guide
- Access to the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill
- Access to Carcer Tullianum Museum
- Access to the Colosseum's 4th and 5th floors
- Swap your smartphone voucher for a paper ticket at the ticket office of the Mamertine Prison at least 10 minutes before your chosen timeslot. Your ticket to the Colosseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill will be given to you then
- The ticket for the Roman Forum, Palatine Hill and the Colosseum is valid for two consecutive days, one entrance per site
Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.
Getting to the Mamertine Prison
- Metro: Line B to Colosseum station + 10-minute walk
- Bus: All lines to Piazza Venezia bus terminal + 5-minute walk
- 29 October - 25 March: 08:30 - 16:30
- 26 March - 31 August: 08:30 - 18:30
- 1 - 30 September: 08:30 - 18:00
- 1 - 28 October: 08:30 - 17:30
- 16 February - 15 March: 08:30 - 17:00
- 16 - the last Saturday of March: 08:30 - 17:30
- From the last Sunday of March - 31 August: 08:30 - 19:15
- 1 - 30 September: 08:30 - 19:00
- 1 - the last Saturday of October: 08:30 - 18:30
- From the last Sunday of October - 15 February: 08:30 - 16:30
We got tickets from the prison at 11am then you can go where you want at what time you want within the two days.