Tickets for The Lava Tunnel - Extreme Tour
Adventure and stunning underground scenery on a thrilling underground hike
- Experience the most extreme caving experience in Iceland in the 5,200-year-old Raufarhólshellir lava tube
- Enjoy an underground hike through some of the world's most stunning geological formations, with thousands of multicolored volcanic rock formations
- Relax – your guide has been hand-picked from the absolute best mountaineers and cavers, so they're going to give you the best ultimate experience
Is visiting a 5,200-year-old cave system carved by white-hot magma not extreme enough for you? Then it's time to dive in and scramble your way through this 1.4 km long prehistoric subterranean labyrinth. Your expert guide will make sure your adventure is safe-yet-thrilling, so you can relax and take in those breathtaking rock formations.
This one is for the real thrill-seekers. The Raufarhólshellir is one of the largest and longest 'lava tube' cave systems in Iceland, its tunnels blasted open by the prehistoric Leitahraun eruption.
Today, it's a network of eye-popping geological formations, with thousands of technicolor stalactites and stalagmites appearing to 'drip' from the ceiling and shoot up out of the cave floor.
You'll learn all about this incredible natural phenomenon and get plenty of opportunity to admire the scenery on your underground adventure.
So strap on your helmet, grab your flashlight and follow your guide into the very heart of this natural maze.
Watch your head!
- Transport from Reykjavik to the Lava Tunnel and back (if needed)
- 3-hour Extreme guided caving tour
Show your smartphone ticket to the guide at the Lava Tunnel or at the pickup.
Cancellations are possible up to 24 hours before your visit date.
- The Lava Tunnel is less than 30 minutes from Reykjavik: Head east on road 1, turn onto road 39 after approximately 18km. You will find The Lava Tunnel parking lot after approximately 12km
- Free optional transfer from Reykjavik is included in this ticket