Tickets for Tren de los Volcanes
Hop a train to an Ecuadorian adventure full of farm, food and stunning scenery
- Start at Chimbacalle station and head southwards on the train to the Avenue of the Volcanoes with a local guide
- See amazing scenery on the train including grasslands, croplands and haciendas and stop for lunch in Machachi - a city surrounded by volcanos
- Go for a guided walk through native flora and fauna - and meet some Ecuadorian cowboys
Wear your best walking shoes, you'll soon be taking them to an altitude of up to 3,547 m above sea level. This guided train journey through mountain cloud forest puts you in the stunning surroundings of El Boliche, on the tracks and on foot - including a tasty lunch.
Prepare for an early start to this adventurous full-day Tren de los Volcanes tour from Quito, starting at Chimbacalle station.
Learn about the history, geography and wildlife of the 'jungles of Panzaleo' from your guide as you chug through the Avenue of the Volcanoes and see where they got the wood to build Quito's churches.
See grasslands, croplands and haciendas, and stop in Tambillo and Machachi for the lowdown on the life of the 'chagras' - the Ecuadorian cowboys!
Stop in El Boliche, at the foothills of Cotopaxi for a low-key wander through some beautiful greenery and then enjoy lunch back in volcano-surrounded Machachi!
Culture, food and Ecuadorian adventure, all in one day!
- 08:00: Departure from the Eloy Alfaro Train Station in Chimbacalle, Quito, southwards to the Avenida de los Volcanes
- Pichincha, Atacazo, Pasochoa, La Viudita, Corazón, and Rumiñahui volcanoes will pass along the way
- Brief stop in Tambillo, Empanadas de Viento pastries
- Stop in El Boliche (foothills of the Cotopaxi, 3,500m): Light trek to discover the local ecosystems and vegetation
- Visit of the Machachi Valley: Cuisine and culture of the chagras (Ecuadorian cowboys), time for lunch
- 17:30: Return to Eloy Alfaro Train Station in Chimbacalle, Quito
- 9.5-hour train journey Quito-Tambillo-El Boliche-Machachi-Quito
- Hiking in the mountainous cloud forest in El Boliche
- Live guide during the entire experience
- Cultural presentation
- Additional expenses not detailed above
- Show your smartphone ticket at the train
- Be at the train station 30 minutes before departure! Departure is at 08:00
Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.
Getting to Chimbacalle Train Station
- Bus: Lines C1, C4 or E8 to Chimbacalle
- Free, guarded parking areas available at Chimbacalle station