Tickets for Alnwick Castle
Visit the real Hogwarts and discover a world of exciting history and wizardry
- Get medieval in one of the UK's oldest castles – with history dating back to the Norman age, it's found a new lease of life as a movie star, featuring in the Harry Potter films
- Explore the awe-inspiring Renaissance-style interiors, including the lavishly decorated library, drawing room, and state dining hall, and see exhibitions on famous residents William de Percy and Harry Hotspur
- Tour the castle grounds, become a craft-making artisan in Artisans Courtyard, face the resident dragon in Dragon Quest, then learn to ride a broomstick on the castle lawns!
You probably know the majestic Alnwick Castle from a little film called Harry Potter, where it stood in for Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Explore the incredible interiors, take a tour of the grounds, practice medieval crafts, and even battle dragons and fly broomsticks – this is a 1000-year-old castle come to life!
Does Alnwick Castle seem a little... familiar? That's probably because it's starred in countless movies and TV shows, from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone to Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and, err, Transformers: The Last Knight.
But there's more to this ancient fortress than its movie star status, it's the second largest inhabited castle in the UK, and steeped in almost 1000 years of turbulent history.
Inside, you can explore the lavish Renaissance-style State Rooms (including a stunning private library), and check out exhibitions dedicated to William de Percy and Harry Hotspur.
Up topside, stretch your legs with a tour of the castle grounds, before testing your mettle in Dragon Quest. Then round off the perfect castle day out with a spot of broomstick training on the lawn. Quidditch, anyone?
- Entrance to Alnwick Castle
- Free maps in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Chinese (can be picked up on arrival)
- Special activities including Broomstick Training, Historical Grounds Tour and Medieval Crafts & Dressing Up
- Guide books (available for purchase at the shop in English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, Russian)
- Entrance to Alnwick Garden
Cancellations are possible up to 24 hours before your visit date.
- Train (London-Edinburgh), get off at Alnmouth station and take bus X18 or a taxi (6.5km)
- Bus from Newcastle or surrounding towns to Baliffgate (line X15) or Allerburn Lea
- Ample parking available at the Castle (Alnwick Garden, NE66 1YU)