- Lose yourself in this palace of modern art, with a world-leading collection and regular exhibitions from major international artists
- Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, the building is a work of art itself, with a spiraling interior ramp reportedly inspired by the concave lines of a seashell
- See the ongoing exhibitions of Impressionist, Post-Impressionist, and modern French masterpieces, with works by Cézanne, Picasso, Kandinsky, Monet, and more
With The Fullness of Color: 1960s Painting, the Guggenheim reflects upon this artistic period during which color theory, optical perceptions, and geometric compositions were expanded upon.
The 60s saw a departure from Abstract Expressionism, in which raw and evocative brush strokes spoke to a post-war society. These sweeps of emotive expression were further explored through color.
Artists like Helen Frankenthaler applied thinned acrylic washes to unprimed cotton canvases, and Morris Louis, Kenneth Noland, and Jules Olitski methodically poured, soaked, or sprayed paint onto canvases, giving them a primal richness.
The 1960s and 70s marked an age in the art world where viewers were invited to partake in the meaning-making process together with the artist. Many artists used evocative materials that emphasized the production process. By doing so, the end result isn't always the finished work, but rather the continuous engagement between the art object, viewer, and artist.
Marking Time: Process in Minimal Abstraction puts this concept under the spotlight. Be it interlocking brushstrokes, a pencil moved through wet paint, or a pin repeatedly pushed through paper – we are urged to reenact the creative process involved in producing an artwork. Entering this realm of the artist can lead to an intimate understanding of the time, intensity, and rhythm that each artwork required.
Just 2% of the world's surface is occupied by cities. However, with the rapid expansion of urban and industrial areas, the remaining 98%, which can loosely be described as 'countryside' is changing too. This is the focus of a unique exhibition at the Guggenheim Museum. Countryside, The Future, addresses urgent environmental, political, and socioeconomic issues that affect life in non-urban areas.
Drawing on the work of Dutch architect and urbanist Rem Koolhaas and the Director of the AMO think tank Samir Bantal, the exhibition will examine the modern conception of leisure, large-scale planning by political forces, climate change, migration, human and non-human ecosystems, market-driven preservation, artificial and organic coexistence, and other forms of radical experimentation that's altering the landscapes of our world, while changing the very definition of what we think of as countryside.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum (usually shortened to 'The Guggenheim') scarcely needs any introduction. Frank Lloyd Wright's futuristic beehive is an architectural landmark, and the interior houses a world-renowned collection of modern art, celebrating the 20th century and beyond.
Conceived in 1943 by master architect Frank Lloyd Wright, The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum opened to the public in 1959 and changed the world of modern art. Its design is still as cutting-edge as it was in the 50s, with its gracefully spiraling ramp reaching gently into the spectacular domed-glass ceiling.
Frequently updated exhibitions show off a wide range of works from exciting new artists and cultural heavyweights. With free guided tours, downloadable audio guides and interactive augmented reality mobile apps, it's an appropriately contemporary experience – a must-see for lovers of art and architecture, and those looking to recreate that bit at the start of Men in Black.
- Cancellations are possible up to 24 hours before your visit date
- Changes are possible for this ticket
The museum will be between exhibitions from 13 January through 19 February, while installing their next rotunda exhibition, Countryside, The Future, which will open on 20 February. Admission is discounted during this time. All the ramps will be closed for installation purposes, and only the Tower galleries will be open to the public. You'll be able to see The Fullness of Color: 1960s Painting, Marking Time: Process in Minimal Abstraction, the Thannhauser Collection, and the Guggenheim Collection: Brancusi in the Tower level galleries.