- See jets, a spy plane, a submarine and more - all onboard a real aircraft carrier
- Bring the kids to learn about history, military service and science
- Hear lectures from experienced pilots and astronauts
Like jets? Strap in buckaroo! Like ships? Ahoy there matey! Like both? Of course you do, who doesn’t? Welcome aboard the USS Awesome! AKA The Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum! Geek out and let your fleet flag fly while aboard this aircraft carrier filled with military, maritime and aerospace history.
This particular museum is housed on the aircraft carrier (and national historic monument) the USS Intrepid. As if that's not awesome enough, the Intrepid actually served in World War II and Vietnam and helped out NASA during space missions.
Now like a retired old sea dog the Intrepid sits on the docks telling amazing tales of its many adventures and giving guided tours to some of the very impressive crafts on its deck.
A few of the cool aircrafts you can see here are the Lockheed A12 Blackbird known as the world’s fastest jet and spy plane (how cool is that?) The British Airways Concord (the fastest commercial airplane). Also housed on the Intrepid is the famous space shuttle Enterprise...yes, the real Enterprise that actually went into space!
Please note: if you want to include the Enterprise in your visit, make sure to choose the Space Shuttle Pavilion option.
Below decks you can enter submarine the USS Growler, and there’s an interactive hall with flight simulators and other activities that are guaranteed to not just be fun but also educational.
Docked right on the Hudson River next to many arriving and departing cruise ships, you can catch a view of the George Washington Bridge, The Statue of Liberty, the NYC skyline and...New Jersey?
NOTE: The USS Growler submarine will be closed for renovations between November 14 and December 16.
Pier 86, W 46th St & 12th Ave, New York, NY 10036, United States
- Entrance to the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum
- Space Shuttle Pavilion
- All guests under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult for entry into the museum
Space Shuttle Pavilion
- To get into the Space Shuttle Pavilion (and see the space shuttle Enterprise, choose the 'with space shuttle' tickets
- Subway: A, C, E, N, Q, R, S, 1, 2, 3, 7 train to 42nd Street, then walk or take the M42 West Bus to Hudson River (12th Ave) or 7 to the 34th Street – Hudson Yards station, exit near the 11th ave. Metro
- Bus: M34 (34th Sts), M42 (42nd St) or M50 (49th St) to 12th Ave and Hudson River;
- Ferry: A ferry is available from Hoboken and Weehawken, NJ at Port Imperial Ferry Terminal and at Lincoln Harbor located at the Sheraton Suites on Harbor Blvd. (Pier 86, W 46th St. & 12 Ave)