- Get an incredible insight into a Roman town 2,000 years ago, right on the coast around the Bay of Naples
- Join a trained archaeologist and see how lava and ash preserved everything when Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD
- Learn about the 300 or so skeletons that were found by archaeologists at Herculaneum, all in great condition and offering details on the lives of Roman residents
Destroyed in 79 AD by volcanic lava, Herculaneum remains one of the most fascinating clues as to the lives of the rich in Roman times.
With more lavish marble and mosaics in its remains than Pompeii, it's clear that Herculaneum's homes were not completely destroyed by the eruption, just buried up to their top floors in ash.
Explore with a trained archaeologist and find out how the carbonization in the lava helped to preserve everything from mosaics to roofs, beds, wood, and even sewage!
- Show your smartphone ticket to your guide in front of the ticket office of Herculaneum
- The guide will be holding a sign with 'Askos Tours' written on it
- The tour starts at 15:00, please make sure to arrive at least 10 minutes beforehand
- Cancellations are possible up to 24 hours before your visit date
- Changes may be possible for this ticket
There’s not much you can glean from the place itself (it’s fairly difficult to tell what’s happened with certain houses etc) so having a guide take us around was perfect.
10/10 definitely recommend!