- Take a self-guided tour of the Old Melbourne Gaol and immerse yourself in the history of the institution
- Hero or hell raiser? Explore the life and crimes of notorious inmate Ned Kelly and make up your own mind
- Take on the Watch House experience and discover first-hand how past criminals were processed and locked up – it’s not for the faint of heart!
Back in the 19th century, Old Melbourne Gaol was the place Australian criminals feared most. With its cramped cells, cold walls, and generally undesirable residents, the famous Australian jail was not where you wanted to end up.
Follow in the footsteps of notorious gunslinger Ned Kelly – executed at the prison in 1880 – and discover the chilling stories of inmates past, tragic miscarriages of justice, and Melbourne's early colonial history.
- Cancellations are possible up to 24 hours before your visit date
- Changes may be possible for this ticket
The Gaol is partially wheelchair accessible. It is over 3 levels and due to the building's heritage status does not have lifts or ramps. Around 80% of the museum information is on the ground floor, and is displayed on the walls and in cells. Please note the cell doors are very narrow and may not be wide enough for some chairs. Please ask about the Virtual Reality goggles which enable you to experience the other levels.
If you've ever wanted to know what it's like to be arrested and thrown in a cell, now you can – without breaking any laws. Try the 40-minute Watch House experience to get a feel for life behind bars with a straight-talking corrections officer to make you feel at home.