Tickets for Park and Pena Palace in Sintra
Step back in time at this lovingly restored fairy tale castle
- Explore this picturesque royal retreat, plucked straight from a fairy tale dreamworld
- Get lost in the 500-acre gardens, packed with exotic plant life, meandering streams, and all sorts of hidden delights
- Marvel at the history and splendor of this UNESCO World Heritage site
This picture-perfect mountain retreat was a monastery until transformed into a private palace by King Ferdinand II. The surrounding Park of Pena is just as big of a treat, full of exotic plant life and other secret treasures. Discover for yourself the 'Crown of the Sintra region'.
Originally a 16th-century monastery, Ferdinand threw out all notions of restraint and ordered its conversion into a Technicolor fairy tale fortress. The King couldn't settle on a single style, so the castle is a delightful mishmash of Romantic, Renaissance, Manueline and Moorish styles. A must-see for fans of architecture and design (and bright colors)!
Equally beautiful are the surrounding gardens. Built to take advantage of the naturally damp climate they contain over 500 species of tree from the four corners of the earth. True to form, the gardens are a sprawling grotto of hidden delights, making a perfectly serene escape from daily life.
Make sure you take the time to drink in the stunning views over the Sintra Region, western coastline, and the city of Lisbon below.
- Entrance to Pena Palace
- Entrance to the park
- Entrance to the Moorish Castle
- Show your smartphone ticket at the entrance of the Pena Palace park
- Please note that the date stated on the ticket isn't the date of your visit
Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.
- By foot: About 45 minutes walking from the center of Sintra
- Bus: Scotturb Line 434 (Pena circuit) from Sintra Train Station
- Train from Lisbon (Estação do Oriente, Estação do Rossio, or Estação de Entrecampos)
Try and find the hidden chalet, built to seduce Ferdinand's future wife, the Countess of Edla. What a charmer!
are awesome. Difficult to achieve up there, and if there is an easier way, it is not easy to find.
Was very easy to buy and get in the Castel.