- Visit the world's best aquarium of 2017 and 2018, according to TripAdvisor, and meet over 8,000 sea creatures from over 500 species (including a rare sunfish!)
- Explore different ocean environments, with a mammoth five million-litre main tank, and four additional habitats which recreate the seas of the Atlantic, Tropical Indian reefs, Pacific Ocean and Antarctic
- Learn all about the Oceanário's conservation programmes and see how you can help make a difference with small changes to your everyday routine
Prepare for a day packed with aquatic discovery at one of Lisbon's biggest attractions! The Oceanário de Lisboa even includes a gigantic 5,000 m3 aquarium that makes you feel like you're walking on the ocean floor. It's home to over 8,000 marine creatures, and its focus on conservation and environmental responsibility means your visit will be as educational as it is awe-inspiring.
Even from the outside, Oceanário de Lisboa is totally unique – the award-winning building seems to float above a manmade lake like an anchored ship. As you climb the entrance ramp you'll spot Vasco, the Oceanário's mascot, before you take the plunge into this underwater world.
The main aquarium is so large that it gives the impression of a limitless open ocean, and is deep enough that you can observe the different creatures that thrive on the surface, 'pelagic' mid-level, and the 'bottom feeders' that call the seafloor home.
Surrounding this are separate habitats which recreate unique ocean ecosystems like the North Atlantic rocky coast and Tropical Indian coral reefs. Learn about practical steps you can take to protect endangered environments in your everyday life.
It's an inspiring undersea adventure the whole family will love!
Forests Underwater by Takashi Amano
'Aquascaper' Takashi Amano has created an artistic interpretation of the complex diversity of tropical rainforests - underwater. With musical accompaniment from Rodrigo Leão, this 40-meter-long aquarium holds 160 thousand litres of freshwater and creates a magically mysterious viewing experience.
- Skip the line and show your smartphone ticket at the entrance of the exhibitions
- Keep your ticket until the end of your visit
- If you choose to take the free shuttle bus, show your smartphone ticket to the driver. On the bus is written 'Oceanário Shuttle'
- Cancellations are not possible for this ticket
- Changes are possible for this ticket
- Free shuttle bus: pick-up from Av. José Malhoa 1 at 09:30, 11:30 & 14:30, from Av. da Liberdade 185 at 09:50, 11:50 & 14:50, from Praça dos Restauradores 24 at 09:55, 11:55 & 14:55, and from Cais do Sodré – Largo do Corpo Santo at 10:05, 12:05 & 15:05. One-way ride from stop #1 takes 1 hour. The bus leaves the Oceanário at 16:30 and returns to Restauradores, Av. Fontes Pereira de Melo, and Av. José Malhoa
- Metro: Red Line to Oriente
- Bus: Lines 5, 25, 28, 44, 708, 750, 759, 782 or 794 to Oriente
- Train: Alfa Pendular and Intercity trains, inter-regional and regional trains, and Azambuja line (Lisbon-Azambuja)
- Boat: Transtejo boats to Cais do Sodré or Terreiro do Paço