- Discover thousands of objects and artifacts - from art to clothing and jewelry, tools to talismans sourced from all over the world
- Travel from continent to continent in the brilliantly designed permanent exhibition - and learn about culture and customs as you go
- See culture come to life with dozens of touchscreens and interactive exhibitions that the whole family will love
Get to know the lives of people around the world at Volkenkunde, Leiden's eye-opening museum of ethnology. Lovingly arranged by cultural region, thousands of objects tell the stories of human experience around the world. Now that's a day well spent!
Just five minutes’ walk from Leiden’s central station, Museum Volkenkunde's permanent display features objects from eight different cultural regions.
It includes items like wall hangings, beads, weapons and armor, cookware, and religious artifacts. Every single one tells a story of common human themes like mourning, celebration, ornamentation, prayer and conflict.
The scope of this museum is incredible, reaching from Oceania to the Arctic, yet - by maintaining a focus on the everyday - it exposes the universality of human experience.
It's a lofty goal, but one managed with a deft touch here.
- Cancellations are not possible for this ticket
- Changes are not possible for this ticket
The museum is a 5-minute walk away from Leiden Central Station.
A huge 8m red cedar totem pole, carved on Cormorant Island in British Columbia specifically for the Volkenkunde, greets visitors as they enter through the garden.