- Discover a hidden cultural gem inhabited by wild flamingos on the island paradise of Sardinia
- Hop in a mini train and ride around a stunning landscape of salt mountains and pools of multi-colored water
- Explore beautifully restored vintage chemistry labs, workshops, and offices
Hop aboard a mini train and get carted around a beautiful landscape filled with salt mountains, multicolored water pools, and hundreds of pink flamingos. Alice in Wonderland has got nothing on the Conti Vecchi Saltworks! Discover the story of this otherworldly Sardinian heritage site with a guided tour.
Before boarding the train for your guided tour, check out the short documentary film providing the saltworks' fascinating backstory, and learn about the peaceful village life it sustained. It's all made using original footage from the '30s, so prepare to be charmed.
After that, you'll be free to explore chemistry labs, workshops, and offices, all restored to their vintage 1930s glory. See the beautiful old machinery used in the production of salt, and stroke your chin knowingly, having just learned about them in the short intro film!
All brushed up on the local history? It's time to take one of the most unique train journeys imaginable. With a deeply knowledgeable guide, you'll trundle around a breathtaking panorama quite unlike the rest of the island.
See hills of dazzlingly white salt and weave through a patchwork of salt pans ranging from deep blue to bright red in color - as the salinity of the pools increases, they get redder and redder.
The stars of the show have to be the countless flamingos who call the Conti Vecchi Saltworks home. See them strutting their stuff and take wing in majestic displays of pink flamboyance. It's not every day you take a tour like this one!
- Swap your smartphone voucher for a paper ticket at the ticket office
- Please arrive 10 minutes before your preferred timeslot at the train
- Cancellations are possible up to 24 hours before your visit date
- Changes may be possible for this ticket
- Car, from Cagliari: Take the SS 195 Sulcitana highway. Follow the signs for Pula and then for Macchiareddu, then proceed to the destination
- Car, from Olbia, Sassari or Nuoro: Take the SS 131 Carlo Felice highway towards Cagliari. Turn onto the SP 2 Sestu-San Sperate road and follow the signs for Assemini and then for Macchiareddu
- Car, from the Cagliari-Elmas airport, take the SS 391 highway, then the SS 195 Racc/E 25. Follow the signs for Assemini and then for Macchiareddu
A group of flamingos is called a stand.