- Repose in the beautiful gardens and feel the sense of tranquillity that the architect intended for the original patients in the early 20th century
- Explore the vast property, take in 16 pavilions and marvel at the level of detail and the sense of joy in the architecture
- Learn about the rich medical history of a hospital site that originally dates back to 1401
In the early 1900s, visionary architect Domènech i Montaner built something radical. On the site of a medieval hospital he designed a modern hospital that would provide patients with architectural and natural beauty that would help heal their spirits. It was an unheard of concept back then and it still feels revolutionary; explore the magnificent Art Nouveau complex that he devised.
The property comprises 16 pavilions, and includes underground tunnels and a sense of style that is characterized by mosaic art, colored roof tiles, intricate arches and fun, playful lines. There are courtyards and greenery that reflect Montaner’s conviction that flowers and trees could help patients more than a conventionally sterile environment. It’s a masterpiece, but not in the forbidding sense.
The building was made a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2009, and the hospital is now located in the north-east of the district.
Carrer Sant Antoni Maria Claret, 167 - 08025 Barcelona
Show your mobile ticket on your smartphone at the entrance.
- Metro: L5 stops in Sant Pau -Dos de Maig
- Bus: H8, 19, 20, 45, 47, 50, 51, 92, 117, 192
- April-October: Monday to Saturday: 10:00 - 18:30. Sunday and Holidays: 10:00 - 14:30.
- November-March: Monday to Saturday: 10:00 - 16:30. Sunday and Holidays: 10:00 - 14:30.
An excellent example of how a medical centre could look if one really wanted to make a pleasant patient centric environment!
Is a plesant experience
very good !
Zeer mooi ziekenhuis in een prachtige, verzorgde omgeving. Ook voldoende informatie in de gebouwen.
Guter Service - die online-Buchung war einfach und zuverlässig.