- Learn the role chocolate has played in the economic and social fabric of Barcelona since the 15th century, when the city was a port for its sale and distribution
- Get a free chocolate bar when you enter, just to whet your appetite. Then carry on through this chocolatey, educational institution
- Impress your friends with your impeccable choccy-knowledge - did you know that 18th-century armies were given it as a daily ration?
As the Chocolate Museum will make clear, chocolate has played a key role in the social and economic fabric of Barcelona. The Catalan capital was once the origin port for the distribution of the cacao-based confection. Here at the Chocolate Museum (Museu de la Xocolata) you'll learn everything you could possibly hope to about this delicious (and historically important) foodstuff. And yes: you sure do get to taste some!
Located in the former Saint Agustí monastery, The Chocolate Museum whisks you on a tasty trip through all things chocolate as you learn about its nutritional and medicinal value. Yes, that's right - chocolate is officially good for you. In fact, in the 18th century, members of the Bourbon army and military academies were given it as a daily ration:
“For breakfast each cadet and company officer shall be given one and a half ounces of chocolate with a quarter of a pound of bread...”
The mission of the Chocolate Museum is to spread the knowledge of the history of this wonderful product, and to keep the traditional values of Catalan confectionery alive. An honorable mission, don't you think? And the people who run this museum know of which they speak: it's an initiative of the Barcelona Provincial Confectionery Guild.
Don't forget to head to the on-site coffee shop for a hot chocolate, and to stock up on the good stuff.
- Cancellations are possible up to 24 hours before your visit date
- Changes are possible for this ticket
- Metro: Any metro to Jaume I or Arc de Triomf
- Bus: 39, 40, 42, 45, 51, 120, H16, V15 or V17
Pssst. The best and quietest time to visit is between 12:00 - 14:00.