- Explore the majestic halls and chapels of this gargantuan gothic palace – the largest of its kind in the world!
- Learn all about the life and work of the nine popes who called the palace home, then see their intimate personal quarters
- Marvel at priceless murals and frescoes which use innovative techniques to tell timeless stories of prophecy and faith
There are palaces, and then there are palaces. This mammoth monument is the largest Gothic building in the world, and towers over the picture-perfect town of Avignon. Built by Pope John XXII (we suspect he had some help) in 1316, the Palais has hosted nine popes and countless monarchs and nobility over the years. Explore and discover this palatial piece of world history.
The 'Palace of the Popes' is officially the biggest building ever constructed during the Gothic period. When you consider this was the era of castles and fortresses, that means it's very big indeed – a testament to the sheer power and influence of the Catholic Church.
That majesty can still be felt today, and you can prepare for your jaw to drop as you explore the 25 stunning rooms. The Grande Audience Hall and Consistory are real showstoppers, while the Great Clementine Chapel has been the site of all manner of holy goings-on for hundreds of years. What's more, you'll get to see into the various private apartments where the popes lived, decorated in a naturalist style which would have been groundbreaking back in the day!
Of course, it wouldn't be a palace without some lavish decorations, and the walls and ceilings are covered with frescoes by Matteo Giovanetti and Simone Martini. It's a thrilling lesson in history as well as a living work of art, and it's also really, really big – what are you waiting for?
Go straight to the ticket desk and show your smartphone ticket.
- Cancellations are not possible for this ticket
- Changes are possible for this ticket
Although you're likely to be transfixed by the interiors, it's worth getting on top of things and climbing the stairs to the roof(s) – you'll be rewarded with some of the best views of Avignon available!
Je recommande ce site
Booking with tigets is easy, convenient and saves times.