Tickets for Portuguese Synagogue
Go back to the Golden Age and Jewish history
- See one of the most important legacies in Amsterdam's vibrant Jewish history and learn the significance of the Portuguese Synagogue, a late 17th-century Sephardic synagogue
- Walk the synagogue's sandy floor - one of only five synagogues in the world with this feature (and the only one outside the Caribbean)
- Learn all about the Dutch Golden Age and tour the Jewish Museum, also included in the price of this ticket
From the second half of the 17th century Amsterdam Jews were allowed to build synagogues that were visible from the street. That decision changed the look and feel of the whole city! Walk the candlelit halls of the Portuguese Synagogue (also called the Esnoga), admire the intricate wooden carvings, and feel the sandy floor beneath your feet. Your audio guide will fill you in on the context as you walk.
The beautifully preserved interior of the Portuguese Synagogue is a wonder in itself. Aside from the architecture and wooden floors, there's still no modern heating or lighting, so to enter this building is to walk through a magical candlelit wonderland and go back to the Golden Age.
In the 17th century, Dutch trade, plus science, military, and art were some of the most celebrated in the world - which is why it was known as the Golden Age. Until the Holocaust, Jews accounted for 10% of Amsterdam's population, many of whom found this city to be a refuge from persecution in Spain and Portugal.
In its time, the Portuguese Synagogue was one of the biggest buildings in Amsterdam. Today it's one of only five synagogues in the world to have a sand floor (used to absorb dust, moisture and sound).
This ticket includes entry to the adjacent Jewish Historical Museum, and the nearby Hollandsche Schouwburg (National Holocaust Memorial), so you can get well and truly educated on all things Jewish.
- Entrance to the Portuguese Synagogue + Audioguide
- Entrance to Jewish Historical Museum + Audioguide
- Entrance to the Holocaust Museum
- Map for a tour around the Jewish Neighborhood + an app which can be downloaded for use during the tour in Dutch, English and Portuguese
Cancellations are not possible for this ticket.
Très émouvante !