- Madame Tussauds gives you the opportunity to rub shoulders – literally – with celebs like George Clooney, leaders like Barack Obama and sports heroes like Lionel Messi
- It’s Amsterdam’s funnest museum, and has a ‘hands-on’ policy that allows you to touch the celebs. You’ll also find a karaoke room where you can sing along to classic songs
- You’ll find figures that appeal to all ages. Kids especially love the big, elegant green ogre that is Princess Fiona (from Shrek) while those with a fondness for classic Hollywood love laying eyes on Marilyn Monroe and Charlie Chaplin
Amsterdam has always been a world city, and at Madame Tussauds you’ll get up close and personal with global figures - and even meet some local luminaries. Well, you won’t really meet them in the flesh, but it’ll seem that way for a moment!
Rub shoulders with Madonna and Angelina Jolie. Stroll right up to Johnny Depp and see just how tall he is. Or meet Adele and Lady Gaga. Alternatively, cast a critical eye and judge which is the better Ryan – Gosling or Reynolds. (Correct answer: Gosling).
You’ll find that these stars are more than approachable – none have an ounce of attitude and they’re all delighted to pose for a pic. In fact, they’re all without a security detail too, so snap away to your heart’s content.
The newest kid on the block is the Biebs himself (that’s Justin Bieber in case you’ve been living under a pop culture-free rock recently). Younger visitors will find themselves getting a little starstruck in his presence, and even older visitors will be amazed at how life-like he is. Can you belieb that the wax model has the same tattoos as the real one?
If you want something with a bit more gravitas, how about saying hello to Barack Obama or Nelson Mandela? You’ll also get acquainted with Dutch royalty as you meet King Willem Alexander and Queen Máxima. She’s from Argentina but is beloved by the Dutch people!
There’s a karaoke room where you can sing along to some of the hits of the artists you’ve just met. Plus, you can sit on Máxima's throne and even touch the exhibits (not a move we recommend trying in the Rijksmuseum!).
#IAmArt A fresh new exhibit (with a hashtagged title it can't be that old, can it?). Here you can get to know some of history's finest artists. Throw your arm around the rather maudlin Vincent van Gogh or try not to break into a mysterious smile next to Mona Lisa herself.
There's a focus on Dutch masters like Van Gogh, Rembrandt and Mondriaan (you are in Holland after all). But there's also international artists, like Mr Melted Clocks (Dalí), Captain Cubism (Picasso) and the Renaissance Man (Da Vinci).
It's not just the artists though - there's interactive artworks, so you can truly get into the art, as well as opportunities to create your own masterpieces.
You'll leave this exhibit thinking to yourself, "They're right: I am art."
Dam 20 (Rokin)
- Access via the Fast Track entrance
- Visits normally take about 75 minutes
- Big travel bags aren’t allowed in the museum, they can be stored at Amsterdam Central Station
- Pets aren’t allowed in the museum
- It’s allowed to touch the wax statues
- You can bring your camera during a visit
- Wheelchair and rollator users are welcome in the museum. However, strict fire regulations dictate that we can only admit two wheelchair users at any one time. Therefore we recommend you to book your tickets in advance
- Guide dogs are not permitted in the museum
- Trams 4,9,14, 16, 24 & 25 exit at Dam
We needn't wait in a queue with our vauchers
The museum is really fine, we liked it a lot.